1915 Disciples of Christ

Organized 1841, by Elijah Goodwin; present membership, 331; value of property, $1,800; Bible school enrollment, 221.

The formation of this church, August 4, was just after the old brick Christian chapel was finished. Daniel Orange, a fine type of Englishman, led in this movement. He was a descendant of the French Huguenots and settled here in 1818. He had heard the Campbell-Purcell debate in Cincinnati in 1836 and was fully persuaded that the doctrinal position of the Disciples was right. The charter members were Daniel, Elizabeth, Elizabeth S. and John B. Orange a fruitful beginning indeed. Four weeks later Alfred Flower, who married Elizabeth S. Orange with Charles and Sarah Burns was added to the number. The first elder was Daniel Orange, and the first deacons were Alvin Kenner and George Goodwin. Elijah Goodwin was employed one-fourth of the time at $50 the year. Like most churches, this one met reverses, but it has grown to wide service and usefulness. The present chapel was built in 1868 and a new building is in process of construction.
Bone Gap
Organized 1886, bv T. S. Rose; present membership, 154; value of property, $1,000; Bible school began 1886; present enrollment, 175.

Mr. Rose was chiefly instrumental in establishing this church, serving it four years. Under his ministry the house was built in 1887. W. D. Walker is correspondent.
Organized 1894, by Zacharia Harris; present membership, 144; value of property, $2,500; Bible school began 1894; present enrollment, 134.

The Bonpas Church, located on the eastern border of the county, was organized by Amos Miller in 1838. It served its generation and the remnant finally united with Browns.
Organized 1890, by J. C. T. Hall; present membership, 150; value of property, $3,500; Bible school began 1888; present enrollment, 85.

This congregation had its beginning in a Bible school that was started at the Woods Schoolhouse in 1888 and continued two years. The people of the community were led by Min. J. C. T. Hall in the erection of a frame church which was finished in 1890.
Shiloh (West Salem)
Organized 1862, by J. C. T. Hall; present membership, 125; value of property, $1,500; Bible school enrollment, 109.

The location is eight miles south of Albion. A large per cent, of the people of this community originally came from Kentucky, so it was sometimes called "Little Kentucky." It is noted for its hospitality. The church was organized in the barn of James McKinsey.
West Salem
Organized 1858, by J. C. T. Hall; present membership, 175; value of property, including parsonage, $13,000; Bible school enrollment, 235.

This church was formed by uniting the "Long Point" congregation with one that was meeting at the residence of Jas. F. Barney. James Kinner and Blashel Foster led in this work. The twenty-nine charter members signed the following agreement: "We whose names are hereunto annexed, being immersed believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, do mutually and voluntarily associate ourselves together in a congregational capacity to be known as the Congregation of the Lord at West Salem, taking the Christian Scriptures as our only rule of faith and practice, taking no name as a church name but such as they authorize."
West Village (Albion)
Organized 1858; present membership, 293; value of property, $2,000; Bible school enrollment, 250.

This church is four miles north of Albion. It was a scion of the Little Prairie Church. It was first known as Village Church, but as there was another not far distant by that name, this one was changed to West Village. The first meeting was held in an old log building one and a half miles from the present site. A Bible school was conducted there for a number of years, with occasional preaching. A frame building was erected in 1858, which was used till the present house was built in 1896.

The Curtisville Church was organized by J. C. T. Hall in 1854. A few years later it united with the West Village congregation. But in 1878 it was reorganized and built a chapel. In later years it disorganized.

The charter members were J. T., Nancy J. and Mary Hunt; W. W., Nancy and Edward Willis; Laurie Stroup; W. A. and Sarah T. Inskipp; John T., Ann C. and Eliza Woods; Joe J. Mitchell, Malinda Mann, Harriett McKibben, Harriett Winters, Thomas and Mary Niles, William and Narcissa Scott, and Jane I. Lines.
Little Prairie (Ellery)
Organized 1823, by Elder Alan Emmerson; present membership, 100; value of property, $2,000; Bible school enrollment, 125.

This church, located about four miles northwest of Albion, was for sixteen years a part of the Christian Denomination. It was organized in the house of Alan Emmerson, near the site of the present church building. The first elder was Alan Emmerson, and the first deacons were Joseph Applegath, Thomas Gill and William Hall. Amos Willis- was the first preacher of the Christian Denomination in the county and the first minister of this church. He died in 1840.

The first house of worship of this congregation was a frame covered, ceiled and weather-boarded with clapboards and plastered with post-oak clay. It had a brick chimney and fireplace. With the passing years, that bear all things away, this superior temple of its time gave place to another frame building that is still in use.

In 1837 the congregation came into the Restoration movement through the leading of Amos Willis, a minister of the older congregation. Later J. M. Mathes, John O'Kane, Moses Goodwin and others served the church.
Marion (West Salem)
Organized 1843, by Elijah Goodwin; present membership, 150; value of property, $1,200; Bible school enrollment, 82.

This church is in the northwest corner of the county and is on the bank of Sugar Creek. Its first elders were William Foster and N. A. Shelby; its first deacons, Quinton Nicks and B. F. Stark. It was formed in the residence of Quinton Nicks. Meetings were held in the home of N. A. Shelby and others till the chapel was built. Besides Elijah and Moses Goodwin, J. Standish and Cornelius Aids preached there in the earlier years.

It gave George Morrall to the ministry.
New Hope (Browns)
Present membership, 52; value of property, $800; Bible school enrollment, 44.

Only occasional meetings are held here now.

The East Village Church, after years of work, also disorganized.

Extracted 03 Feb 2019 by Norma Hass from History of the Disciples of Christ in Illinois 1819-1914, by Nathaniel S. Haynes, published in 1915, pages 190-194.

Templates in Time